Listed below are resources provided by families in the Autism Acceptance Group. Mimi’s Mission has no direct affiliation with those listed and offers no guarantee of service. The organizations and resources listed were included because an autistic individual or family member within the Autism Acceptance Group has had a positive and helpful experience with them.

*PDFs of each resource section are available for download at the bottom of the page

Financial Resources

MiABLE Account

Home | Michigan ABLE Plan

The Michigan Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE Act) allows for savings accounts to be used for spending on education, housing, transportation, employment training and support, assistive technology and personal support services, health, prevention and wellness, financial management, legal fees and other expenses.


Money in an ABLE account is exempt from being counted against an individual when determining financial eligibility for assistance programs (such as Social Security Disability Income, Medicaid, or Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program).

What are ABLE Accounts? – ABLE National Resource Center


Children’s Special Health Care Services

Children’s Special Health Care Services – MDHHS

This Michigan state-funded government program helps pay for any physiological medical conditions or diseases that your child may have aside from autism. They DO NOT cover autism related services; for example, if your child also has an additional medical condition, medical procedures, services, medical equipment, etc. may be covered by this program.


Children With Special Needs Fund

The Michigan Children with Special Needs Fund (CSN Fund) is a privately-funded program within Michigan’s Children’s Special Health Care Services  (CSHCS) program. The CSN Fund was created to help children with special health care needs when other funding sources are not available. The Fund is managed by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) and staffed by state employees. Working together with CSHCS, local health departments, and other stakeholders, the Fund is able to reach children across Michigan.


Children’s Waiver Program

MDHHS – Children’s Waiver Program

The Children’s Waiver Program (CWP) makes it possible for Medicaid to fund home and community-based services for children who are under age 18. To be eligible for the CWP, the child must have a documented developmental disability and need medical or behavioral supports and services at home. In addition, the child must have behavioral or medical and habilitative needs at home on a consistent daily basis that meet requirements for the level of care for an Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID). To start the process, the family contacts the Community Mental Health Services Program in the county of residence and requests an assessment for a prescreen for the Children’s Waiver Program.



MI Bridges

Information about programs available in Michigan that may help families that need assistance for medical, nutritional, food, day care, temporary cash or other expenses.


Family Support Subsidy Program

Family Support Subsidy Program – MDHHS

The Family Support Subsidy (FSS) is a community-based, family-centered support service that makes it possible for children with developmental disabilities to remain with and to return to their birth or adoptive families. The subsidy provides a monthly payment ($222.11) that the family must spend on special needs that occur as a result of caring for a child with a severe disability at home.


Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) |

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the largest federal nutrition assistance program. SNAP provides benefits to eligible low-income individuals and families via an Electronic Benefits Transfer card. This card can be used like a debit card to purchase eligible food in authorized retail food stores.

Special Education Resources

* School disability eligibility is separate from a medical diagnosis.*


Michigan Alliance for Families 

What is the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act federal law (IDEA)?

What is a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)?

Requesting an evaluation for services and help in school MUST be in writing!

What is an IEP?

I was told my child did not qualify for an IEP:

We have an IEP? Now what?

Accommodations/Modifications to learning, work, class environment

Services provided during school hours that can be available if your child qualifies in their IEP. 

  • Occupational therapy
  • Speech therapy
  • Social work and more

Can the IEP be changed?

What type of classroom should my child be in?

  • The law requires students to be placed in their Least Restrictive Environment possible. You have a right to challenge a placement decision made by a school.

What about getting a parapro or an aide for my child in class?

My child has a lot of behaviors at school. What can we do?

  • Request a Functional Behavioral Analysis in writing

FBA – Michigan Alliance for Families

  • How do I write a request for a behavior plan?

Letter requesting Functional assessment of behavior and positive behavior support plan

  • Why are these behaviors happening?

Behavior is Communication

  • Behavior from sensory needs

Sensory Strategies and Supports for the Classroom – GriffinOT

  • Visual supports for the classroom

5 Types and Functions of Visual Supports-Antecedent Interventions for Behavioral Support – Autism Classroom Resources

  • Laws and information regarding seclusion and restraint

Seclusion and Restraint

  • They want me to keep picking up my child from school. Do I have to?


Autism Resources

Medical Evaluations for Autism

*All evaluation centers for a diagnosis of Autism require a referral through your child’s primary doctor. A medical diagnosis is separate from an educational disability eligibility for a school IEP.*

Beaumont Center for Exceptional Families

18501 Rotunda Dearborn, MI 48124 

Phone: (313) 996-1960

Healing Haven in Madison Heights

30685 Barrington St, Madison Heights, MI 48071

Phone: (248) 965-3916)

Anan & Associates

27780 Novi Rd #107, Novi, MI 48377

 Phone: (248) 567-2930

Beaumont Children’s Hospital Center for Human Development 

30503 Greenfield Rd. Southfield, MI 48076 

Phone: (248) 691-4744

Central Autism Assessment & Treatment Center (CAAT) (Central Michigan University) 

1101 Health Professions Bldg. Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 

Phone: (989) 774-3904

Hope Network Center for Autism

2875 Eyde Parkway 1st Floor  East Lansing, MI 48823 

Phone: (844) 969-0252

University Pediatricians Autism Center

21600 Novi Road Ste. 800 Novi, MI 48375

Phone: (248) 946-4479

Pediatricians Who Work Well With Autistic Children

*Primary Care Physicians for well visits and general care*

Woodhaven Pediatrics

21700 Allen Rd, Woodhaven, MI 48183 

Phone: 734-671-8660

Downriver Pediatrics

23050 West Rd # 110 Brownstown Charter Twp, MI 48183 


Morsi Pediatrics

14600 King Road, Suite A, Riverview, MI 48193

Phone: (734) 479-7800

Child & Adolescent Center

15350 Trenton Road, Southgate, MI 48195

Phone: (734) 283-4616

Developmental Specialists

*Your insurance may require a referral from your primary care doctor before visiting.*

Beaumont’s Center For Exceptional Families – Dr. Susan Youngs

18501 Rotunda Dr, Dearborn, MI 48124

Phone: (313) 996-1951

Ann Arbor Center for Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics – Dr. Rick Solomon

3031 Miller Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103

Phone: (734) 997-9088

ABA, Speech, Occupational, and Physical Therapy Providers

Center For Exceptional Families

18501 Rotunda Dr, Dearborn, MI 48124

Phone: (313) 996-1951

Gateway Pediatric Therapy

19853 W. Outer Drive, Suite 110, Dearborn, MI 48124

Phone: (313) 406-5056

Chitter Chatter Therapy Services – 3 Locations Below

1360 Porter St, Dearborn, MI 48124

Phone: (313) 689-5188

15001 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126

Phone: (313) 757-7060

2086 S Custer Rd, Monroe, MI 48161

Phone: (734) 682-5174

PsyGenics Inc-Speech and Occupational therapy

1660 Fort St, Trenton, MI 48183

Phone: (734) 304-4159

Building Bridges Therapy Center

46200 Port St, Plymouth, MI 48170

Phone: (734) 454-0866


Motor Mouth Pediatric Dentistry

1150 Mason Street, Dearborn, MI 48124

Phone: (313) 429-1005

Golnick Pediatric Dentistry

21213 Ecorse Rd, Taylor, MI 48180

Phone: (313) 292-7777

Tree Town Pediatric Dentistry

1303 Packard St #301, Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Phone: (734) 662-1591

Children’s Dental Care 

13519 Michigan Ave, Dearborn, MI 48126

Phone: (313) 633-9318


*Only recommended if your child can withstand duration and feeling of braces*

Abed Orthodontics

19727 Allen Rd #22, Brownstown Charter Twp, MI 48183

Phone: (734) 479-9000

Eye Doctor/Ophthalmologists

Children’s Eye Care

22731 Newman St, Suite 245, Dearborn, MI 48124

Phone: (313) 561-1777

The Visionary

7333 Allen Rd, Allen Park, MI 48101

Phone: (313) 389-3937

Hair Salons

*Call ahead for sensory friendly accommodations*

Legends Haircuts For Men 

3931 West Rd, Trenton, MI 48183

Phone: 734-304-4387

Novani Salon- Stylist Krystal Fitch 

4031 S. Canton Center Road, Canton, MI 48188

Phone: (734) 331-2801

Book at:

Sensory Friendly Activities

Emagine Theater- Sensory Friendly Movies

39535 Ford Road, Canton, Michigan

Phone: (734) 721-3456

Check for movie and showing dates/times

Sensory Friendly Saturdays at The Henry Ford 

20900 Oakwood Boulevard, Dearborn, MI 48124

Phone: (313) 982-6001

Greenfield Village-All Abilities Playground

20900 Oakwood Boulevard, Dearborn, MI 48124

Phone: (313) 982-6001

Autistic Play Place

39337 Mound Rd, Sterling Heights, MI 48310

Phone: (586) 254-6533

Vonnie’s World

3850 Second Street, Ste. 220, Wayne, MI 48184

Phone: 734-799-7821

Rev’d Up Fun

19830 West Rd, Woodhaven, MI 48183

Phone: (734) 307-3711

Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Apps

AAC is a term used to describe various methods of communication for people who have difficulty with or are unable to use spoken language. AAC can include pictures and/or text; there are many apps that can be used on cell phones and tablets. AAC can help people express their wants and needs and does not inhibit one from learning to speak. It is an excellent tool for both non-speaking and speaking individuals. 

For resources on how to use AAC more effectively, visit or see the free downloads at


CBoard (Android) Free Proloquo2Go

(iOS )$249.99


(iOS) $299.99

Speech Assistant AAC

(Android, iOS) Free

QuickTalk AAC

(Android, iOS)

Price varies


(iOS) $49.99


(iOS) Free


(iOS) $99.99


(Android, iOS) Free


(Android, iOS) Free

**Using AAC technology will be most beneficial when trained by a speech pathologist who is familiar with AAC devices. For help choosing which device and app is best for your family, request a speech and language evaluation. Therapy can provide the entire family with training.

If you would like to download a PDF of a resources section, click the appropriate button. Please note the most current resources list is always online and the PDF may not include the most recent additions.